In the last trading week, the value of the top-10 market cap companies of the country decreased by more than Rs 2.29 lakh crore. The biggest fall in the market cap happened in LIC. There was heavy selling in the domestic equity market in the last trading week and the Sensex lost 2.63 per cent or 1,465.79 points. At the same time, Nifty 50 also fell 2.31 percent i.e. 382.50. In view of the possibility of increase in inflation due to rise in crude oil, investors started running towards safer options, due to which the market fell.
The biggest fall in LIC’s market cap
- The market cap of Reliance Industries declined by Rs 44,311.19 crore to Rs 18,36,039.28 crore in the last trading week.
- IT sector giants TCS and Infosys lost Rs 45,746.13 crore in the last business week. The market cap of TCS stood at Rs 12,31,398.85 crore and that of Infosys was Rs 6,21,502.63 crore.
- HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and SBI, which are among the country’s largest banks, lost Rs 34,970.26 crore in the last trading week. The market cap of HDFC Bank declined by Rs 16,433.92 crore to Rs 7,49,880.79 crore, that of SBI declined by Rs 2,231.15 crore to Rs 4,12,138.56 crore and that of ICICI Bank declined by Rs 16,305.19 crore to Rs 5,00,744.27 crore.
- The market cap of HUL declined from Rs 21,674.98 crore to Rs 5,16,886.58 crore and that of LIC declined by Rs 57,272.85 crore to Rs 4,48,885.09 crore.
- HDFC’s value also declined from Rs 17,879.22 crore to Rs 3,95,420.14 crore.
- Telecom giant Bharti Airtel’s market cap declined by Rs 7,359.31 crore to Rs 3,69,613.44 crore.
Reliance remains the largest company
Reliance still remains the largest company by market cap. After Reliance, the country’s largest company by market cap is TCS, HDFC Bank, Infosys and HUL. ICICI Bank, LIC, SBI, HDFC and Bharti Airtel are also included in the top 10 companies by market cap. (Input: PTI)